We grow all our vegetables in raised beds. Mort Bay Community Garden is located on a site with industrial heritage, the soil is most likely polluted. Raised beds make sure that we can enjoy healthy crops.
The vegetable garden is organised in five color coded sections, each of which comprises of several raised beds. We grow perennial plants in the green section at the fence, in the herb bed and in some of the center beds of the yellow, red and blue sections. The majority of space is used to grow annual plants.
The members decide which crops to grow. The planting group organises everything necessary for the members to grow these crops.
- Season-to-season planning for annual and perennial crops. Making sure that the rules of crop rotation are observed and suitable companion plants are planted.
- Coordinating purchases of soils, fertilisers, mulches, pest control material, seeds and everything our members need to work in the garden.
- Organising monthly working bees.
- Assess problems, suggest solutions and educate members on watering, weeding, harvesting and pests control.
- Coordinating seed germination and seedling growing.
- Coordinating the garden care roster.