A tasty, refreshing dip inspired by Meyhanee restaurant in Balmain. An ideal accompaniment to your favourite summer beverage.
The quantities are not critical, you can make it more carroty or more “yoghurt”, or indeed add your own favourite spice flavours.
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium to large carrots peeled and grated
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt,
- 2 cups yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated on a Microplane, pressed, or crushed into a paste
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add a pinch of the carrots to the oil to test it: The oil is ready if the carrots sizzle. Add the remaining carrots and cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until they soften.Maybe about 6 minutes or so.
- Add salt. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are completely soft – perhaps another 6 minutes or so.
- Stir in the garlic and cumin powder and cook until it is incorporated and fragrant, another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Let cool.
- Place the yogurt in a medium-size bowl. Stir in the cooled carrot mixture, and season with salt to taste.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl, and drizzle the top with olive oil (and sumac if you like).
The dip will keep, in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days.